In the 21st century, social media have become the game-changing phenomenon, a most widely used medium through which approximately more than 100,000,000 people share their views, ideas, career interests. Some of the most famous social media websites are Facebook, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, WhatsApp, Snapchat and many others.
Social media has also fundamentally changed the business approach by becoming an essential tool for marketing, public relations and customer service. The uses of social media, especially Facebook and Twitter have grown at a faster rate and they are able to capture millions of hearts. From teenager to working professional, everyone is utilising the power of social media for enhancing the life.
However, social media also have some negative effects. The users can easily fall prey to several serious cybercrimes like cyber bullying, hacking, scams and many others. In fact, social networking sites have been extensively used by the sociopaths for manipulating and stalking the users, spying the activities, by creating a mask of illusion. Although there are several advantages of using modern technologies, but we cannot deny its negative influences on people. It creates a kind of disconnection, as the real emotions are substituted with emoji. We are more habituated in communicating via text or chat that gradually replaces our physical presence. This feeling of alienation often results in harmful behaviours.
The common traits of the Sociopaths
A sociopath often possesses a confused nature and they are generally extremely calm minded and calculating individuals. Sociopathic personality traits and characteristics are somewhat subtle and it is not easy to identify the traits. The sociopaths are generally consistent in their actions and they may or may not reveal their true nature. However, the most common traits of the sociopaths on social media are discussed below:
• The sociopaths use social networking sites to manipulate and control the users by creating false images of them.
• However, most of the sociopaths have more than one social media accounts through which they can deceive the users by creating false identities of themselves.
• Sociopaths have proper understanding of how the social media works.
• Sociopaths are the masters of illusions and tricks and they like to hide behind the social networking sites so that it becomes easy to manipulate people.
• Most of the sociopaths are tech savvy and they know how to hack the email and social media accounts of the other users.
• All your personal data can be easily hacked and shared on the social media. Several users have lodged complaints that their twitter and Facebook accounts are hacked and the hackers had posted unwanted materials that badly affect the personal lives of the individuals. This is one of the most unsafe traits of social media.
• The sociopaths are immensely addicted to social media; especially the teenage groups are mostly affected by the addiction of social media.
• The teenagers who are extremely addicted to social media, eventually, end up in alienating themselves from the society. This situation often forces them in becoming Sociopaths.
• The sociopaths are extremely whimsical and they often tend to deny their responsibilities.
• When they are held responsible for any action they generally deny them in a calm and composed manner.
• The sociopaths are completely aware of their actions and misdeeds, but they neither have any shame or remorse for what they have done.
• The most dangerous trait of the sociopaths is that they believe that there actions are completely justifiable.
• Another most common trait of the sociopaths is their narcissistic behaviours. They might end up emotionally hurting others by criticising someone or by displaying covet aggression.
• They think that they are never wrong and keep on continuing their vengeful actions.
• They are able to skilfully manage their impression on others and sometimes it becomes difficult for other people to identify their true identity.
Is It Possible To Change a Sociopath?
A common conception is that it is a very complex task to change the behavioural problems associated with a sociopath. However, the change is possible by providing them effective treatments. The details are discussed below:
Confrontation of the problems:
It is very crucial that you must understand the nature of the sociopaths, including the complex groups of traits and complex behaviours. The psychologists often see the problem as antisocial personality disorder symptoms. They may need psychotherapy treatments like cognitive-behaviour therapy and personality reconstruction techniques.
Although medication is not the proper treatment yet, they are advised by the specialists to treat aggressive behavioural symptoms. Medications like anti-anxiety and antidepressant medications are recommended for them.
Violence, irritability, aggression, and anger are often predominately present in the psychopaths. Thus, anger management treatment would be ideal for them helping them to become emotionally more stabilize.
However, social media also has some positive impact on people and it is one of the most powerful tools that people should use wisely.