Upon stepping into the 21st century, mankind has observed several innovations and up gradations. The advent of technology and it’s widespread effects have offered us many extraordinary facilities that include the internet, robotics, nano chips and A.I. A GPS is similar to the aforementioned necessities. A GPS or a Global Positioning System is a satellite-based navigational help that is available to the public for usage. Being originally developed for application in the field of military and intelligence, it has come a long way to reach the common masses.The system is actually a network of satellites orbiting our planet which send out signals to any point on the earth’s surface that has a GPS receiver. The signals transmitted from each of the satellites carry time code and the geographical data which help to determine a user’s position, time and speed at any location all over the surface of the earth. There are 30 functional satellites presently hovering over the earth around their orbits which are a part of GPS constellation. GPS has found countless applications in our daily lives over the year some of them being the following:
- Navigation:The major application of an ideal GPS system is the correct determination of position and thus GPS systems are being included in all sorts of vehicles and smartphones. GPS is now an important portion of everyday life.
- Route Finding:Travelling in a bustling city is eased with the use of GPS system as it can track find alternate routes for a destination. GPS is a necessity for adventurers as well because it reduces the chance of getting lost and enables them to get rescued in serious circumstances.
- Map-making:Mapping and methods of making maps have come a long way since the advent of GPS systems. The integration coordinates and positions received by a GPS receiver from satellites and destination points are analysed to create a map for reaching a destination.
- Surveying: A GPS systems which is used for surveying is far more expensive than a normal GPS receiver. Since it sends a position’s latitude, latitude and height directly to the receiver, GPS is being adapted into the field of surveying.
- Earthquake Research:Geoscientists have researched and found out that GPS acts as a measurethe slow yet incessant motions by acrustal plate of theearth.They are now employing GPS to make precise measurements of position and surface motionand revolutionizing seismic research.
Consumer GPS receivers or GPS devices are widely used for navigational purposes and route plannings. The navigation device receives information from the GPS and uses it to determine the exact location of the user. Such a receiver can pinpoint a user’s exact location on the planet by selecting a constellation of satellites orbiting the earth.A GPS receiver can calculate its position by accurately timing the transmitted signals by the GPS Satellites above the earth. It can also calculate the speed (if the user is in a moving vehicle) and the direction in which they’re travelling. If you’re on an aircraft, the device can easily show you even the altitude as well.
Technology has been making our lives easier since the very beginning. Ever since the penetrationof smartphones in the society, many helpful applications have been tailored to ease people’s work. By introducing a simple and easy- to- use GPS Application which are available for download in smartphones have become a popular trend. Now, most hardware manufacturers are shipping smartphones and tablets that have a built-in GPS chip. These chips have the capability to identify the real-timeposition of a device by accumulating information from multiple GPS satellites.
Strengths and Weaknesses of GPS
- GPS has become more handheld in the recent years and that is one of the major plus points of it.
- GPS systems are self-calibrating and easy to use.
- It gives the user location- based info that can be used for many things apart from mapping and location.
- The system is universal and works at any point of the earth’s surface.
- Using GPS signal is free of charge at the present moment.
- Using GPS devices and GPS Apps come with a high charge- consuming disadvantage. The system drains charge on devices and smartphones excessively.
- GPS signals are not completely reliable in a city where it can be affected by tall buildings and skyscrappers easily.
- Signals transmitted from GPS satellites cannot pass through solid objects and thus GPS cannot function indoors, underground and underwater.
- The bigger the antenna, the better signal reception it possesses. Hence, GPS cannot be fully initialized to maintain the accuracy of positioning.
Which one should kids have and why?
Losing track of your child can turn into a nightmare. In metrocities, cases of lost children are prevalent. To avoid such circumstances, parents use kid-friendly GPS trackers and devices for the safety of their children. Since there are various GPS devices and GPS applications available for usage, it can be confusing to choose one. If we classify children into two subdivisions, namely Preteens and the others below the age of 10, then the choice becomes a bit easier. Children below the age 10 generally don’t own a smartphone and for their safety parents opt for a GPS device that has enough battery life. But for preteens and children who carry smartphones usually, GPS Application that can be downloaded free of cos is preferred.